July 23, 2013

Twist bread with marzipan


Some time ago I found this recipe on twist bread with marzipan, which I thought could be interesting to make for the annual illumination evening, which took place last Saturday. And I very bravely decided, that you as my blog reader should have the final call on, if I should have these twist bread or nor, so I issued a blog vote about. In this voting you could vote:
  • yes - off cause
  • no - you are too stuffed to eat anything as dessert
  • I do not care at all
And I very sure, that the good friends participating in this barbecue evening were quiet happy with your decision.
  • 9 votes for yes to twist bread
  • 2 votes for no to twist bread
  • 1 vote for not caring at all
  • 12 votes in total
A big thank you to all of you, who decided to play along with on this blog voting.

For baking these twist bread I have again some time ago brought some fancy twist bread stick with stainless steal for placement of the dough. Some of my guests were very unhappy about using such a new innovative kitchen equipment, as this was breaking their dream about "the good old days", when they used branches for baking twist bread, so some of my guests went looking for fresh branches, as they wanted to make their twist bread in real retro style !!!

However, the "retro" bakers soon discovered, that a branch is giving a much smaller hole in the baked twist bread. And in this hole you can fill dark chocolate, strawberry jam, Nutella or Belgian nutella, which turned to be something of a hit.

A little remark to the recipe, I decided to reduce the amount of yeast for half the amount, as the dough had to stand for 5-6 hours, when the baking/burning process took place, and the temperature was quiet high.

The taste of marzipan is not very noticeable in this recipe, so the marzipan seems only to give sweetness into the twist bread. The question is, how much sweetness do you in a bread, which you will filling with plenty of sweetness in form of jam or Nutella ? So my recommendation is to save your money from removing the marzipan and use 1-2 tablespoons of sugar instead of.

Twist bread with marzipan: - 6-8 twist breads

  • 250 g water
  • 10 g yeast
  • 25 g rasp seed oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 75 g marzipan - grated
  • 350 g wheat flour
  1. Add yeast and water into a mixing bowl and stir well.
  2. Afterwards add oil, salt, grated marzipan and flour.
  3. Knead the dough well together, I kneaded for 5 minutes.
  4. Place the dough in the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with a lid and let the dough rest for 2-6 hours as room temperature, until it is time for baking the twist bread.
  5. Divide the dough into 6-8 portion, and roll each piece into a long piece, which when is twisted around a stick.
  6. Hold the stick with dough over bonfire glows or barbecue charcoals.
  7. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the twist bread easily can be removed from the stick.
  8. Fill the hole in the twist bread with jam, Nutella or chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. In this case I do not care about sustainability, as I value a bigger hole in the final twist bread giving more room for filling much higher. I am glad to hear, that I got you hooked on "Belgian Nutella" just like me :-)

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sticks come in all sizes, thin or thick. You'l just have to find the right ones ...
    Kis

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...