December 23, 2013

Christmas Calendar 2013 Day 23 - Marzipan "potatoes" with liquorice twist


I located this recipe on marzipan "potatoes"s with liquorice in a Christmas recipe collection for the weekly Danish magazine Femina issue 46/2013, and I knew at once, that I need to make these marzipan "potatoes" as they have this twist of liquorice, which I have a serious addiction to.

I am also finding these marzipan "potatoes" to be something special compared to the more classic version of marzipan "potatoes", as the raw liquorice powder is both giving a black colour to the marzipan as well as changing the taste completely to liquorice. Also the use of English liquorice powder in the cocoa coating is giving strength to the liquorice. I really like the liquorice taste strength, but I am also a "hard core" liquorice eater, so I need to issue a general warning to my good friends in Horsens: be careful, if I serve these liquorice marzipan "potatoes" to you, do only eat ½ "potato" !!!



These "potatoes" is containing another dangerous food item: liquorice which can give you too a high blood pressure. In the "original" version I used cinnamon, which can damage your liver !!! So be careful out there :-)

Marzipan "potatoes" with liquorice twist:
  • 100 g marzipan
  • 1 teaspoon raw liquorice powder
  • 10 g cocoa powder
  • 15 g English liquorice powder
  1. Knead the raw liquorice powder into the marzipan.
  2. Divide the marzipan into small lumps, which you roll by hand into ball shape.
  3. Mix cocoa powder and English liquorice powder together in a deep dish.
  4. Add the marzipan balls to the powder mix, roll them around until they are completely covered by the cocoa-liquorice powder mix. I use a teaspoon for this part of the process, so I do not end with cocoa everywhere.
  5. Place the cocoa-liquorice coated marzipan ball in an air tight storage container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...