September 14, 2014

Tomato ketchup



My tomato plants have not been a big success this year, as they have been struggling with potato blight coming from my potato plants. Therefore I will next year be placing my tomatoes in the part of my garden facing, whereas the potatoes will be placed in their pots in the Northern part of my garden.

Any way one of the tomato plants has been full of smaller cherry tomatoes, so I decided to make my own tomato ketchup every using produce from my kitchen garden in form of tomatoes, chilies and apple using this Politiken´s tomato ketchup recipe as starting point.

It was actually the first time for me to make my own tomato ketchup. I decided to adjust the viscosity of this ketchup of adding in some pectin. If you do this, you need to blend eveerything after addition, so you ensure, that the pectin is dispersed homogenous.

Before addition of the dark brown sugar, the colour of the tomato ketcup was quiet light red. After addition of the brown sugar, the colour became much more dark red !!! Interesting colour changes.


Tomato ketchup a la Politiken:

  • 500 grams of fresh and ripe tomatoes
  • 1 small apple
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • /2 teaspoon of ground allspice
  • 125 g dark brown sugar
  • 100 g apple cider vingear 
  • pectin - optional for viscosity adjustments.
  1. Roughly chop all the ingredients.
  2. Put them into a small cooking pot together with vinegar and spices.
  3. Boil everything until the apple pieces are soft.
  4. Blend everything together using a blender.
  5. Taste the tomato ketchup, Adjust to desired by adding the dark brown sugar little by little. Vinegar can also be used for taste adjustment.
  6. Pour the tomato ketchup into jam glasses, which have been prepared by addition of boiling water in advance.
  7. Store cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...