January 26, 2016

Orange jam with chili



As my final contribution to the to the blogging challenge of Cooking with herbs with focus on herbs and citrus fruits I decide to make some orange jam with addition of chili, as it would fit perfect into my own blog January theme for citrus.

You can always discuss, if chili is a herb or not. Chili is used for seasoning of your food just like herbs, so in my opinion I will regarded as a herb !

Cooking with Herbs

And at the same time is a way for me to use up some left-over chillies in my kitchen after I have been serving chili con carne for my mother. She found my chili con carne to quiet hot, but I told her, that this hot food would give her some body heat, as she had been complaining about the cold Danish Winter weather. I am now considering if, I should tell her, that the glass of orange jam, which she will get also contains chili ?

To make this specific jam I using similar method, when I making this bergamot orange jam.You boil the citrus fruit, followed by blending the citrus fruit and finally you add in sugar to decided sweetness, so all in all a very easy jam to make.


Orange jam  with chili:
  • 1000 g organic oranges
  • 20 g red chili without seeds - medium chopped
  • 575 g sugar - more or less depends on your desired sweetness level
  • 1 teaspoon apple vinegar
  • 2 oranges - organic
  • 2 tablespoon of almonds - without skin
  • 550 g sugar or 600 g sugar is more sweetness is preferred
  1. Wash the oranges. Remove the green top from the orange,
  2. Place the citrus fruits in a small cooking pot, which when is filled with water.
  3. Place the lid on the cooking pot. Let the citrus fruits boiled (softly) for 45 minutes. Cooking depends on the softness of the oranges. For harder orange increase the cooking time to 1 hour.
  4. Remove the oranges and place them in a blender together with the chopped chili .
  5. Blend everything into a homogeneous mass.
  6. Pour the blended oranges into a clean cooking pot. 
  7. Add the majority of the sugar and stir well.
  8. Taste the jam. Adjust the taste to your desired preference by adding in extra sugar for more sweetness and vinegar for more fruit notes.
  9. Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. Another thing you can do is to store the jam cold afterwards. 
  10. Fill the glass with jam and close the glass.

2 comments:

  1. Another FAB recipe for Cooking with Herbs, thanks so much - I LOVE the combination of ingredients in this! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      I find that making home-made jam is a fantastic way to save the fruit in season for later use.

      Kirsten

      Delete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...