Sometime ago I found this recipe on buns with rhubarb compote on a blog. I have been storing this recipe for, and suddenly they fitted perfect into my rhubarb theme for the recent birthday coffee.
Inside of making a fast raising of the bun dough it fitted better into my time frame to make this bun dough using cold raising letting the dough stand night over, actually 12-16 hours. Therefore I reduced the yeast amount significantly from 50 g fresh yeast to 10 g yeast. Do the dough raising according to what fits your calender the best.
The way that these buns are made reminds me very much about the Shrovetide buns, which we Danes eat in February.
Buns with rhubarb compote: - 15 buns
- 550 g wheat flour
- 175 g butter
- 10 g fresh yeast
- 250 g milk
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 50 g light syrup
- 200 g rhubarb - 1-2 cm pieces
- 1 vanilla pod & corn
- 125 g marcipan - grated
- 25 g butter
- Start by making the rhubab compote. Place the rhubarb pieces in a small cooking pot.
- Heat up the rhubarb, until they release their water.
- When add in the vailla pod, vanilla corn and sugar.
- Let the rhubarb compote boil gentle for 10 minutes, until the rhubarb pieces are soft.
- Remove the rhubarb compote from the heat, stir in the butter and grated marzipan. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Store the rhubarb compote cold for later use.
- Blend by the butter and wheat flour together using your hand until the consistency is grainy.
- Stir the fresh yeast into the milk.
- Add the egg, salt and syrup into the milk-yeast liquid.
- Add this liquid phase into the flour mass, knead the dough together using a stand-alone mixer, mixing on speed 2-3 for 10 minutes.
- Let the dough raise cold for 10-16 hours.
- Divide the bun dough into a weight of 75 g each.
- Flatten the bun dough into a square.
- Place a big teaspoon full of rhubarb compote on top of the dough.Cover the rhubarb compote with dough.
- Place the bun with the closing side at the bottom in a muffin form.
- Heat up the oven to 220'C.
- Let the buns raise warm for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake the buns at 220'C for 10-15 minutes.
- Cold down the buns prior to serving.